I worked on this project alone, reporting to a project manager. The client is an international company that develops software for medical equipment, such as scanners (also read: dental diagnosis).

Challenge

The company has many different software programs – one for each type of scanner they develop. But while each scanner can be controlled individually, there was no tool that allowed the data to be viewed in one central place. So if a doctor wants to view different types of medical images of one patient, he has to open all the different scanner programs.

Solution

It was decided to develop a patient management tool. To diagnose a patient, the doctor can use the tool to request different scans. The actual scanning happens by assistants using the other software programs. When the scanning is done the images flow back to the patient management tool. From here the doctor can then view the different scans and make a diagnosis.

Some things I learned from testing the wireframes:

  • Initially, I included a ‘mask’-button (top right corner), under the assumption that dentist & patient often look at the same screen and seeing other patients’ name would give privacy issues. During user tests it became clear this assumption was correct but not an issue throughout the whole dentist visit. Only when a dentist is searching for a patient while the patient is looking at the screen with him. So I decided to feature the privacy mode less prominently & moved it to the search settings.
  • I also included shortcuts for patients (the circles under the search fields). The idea there was that there are often a few patients ‘in circulation’, so in between dentist visit – x ray – dentist diagnosis. During user tests it became clear that a bubble with initials is not enough reference for the dentists. They rather had a full overview. At this point I also learned the valuable lesson that icons alone are not informative. In the final design I ditched the icons & chose to work with a color-coded icon and labels.
  • In the wireframes, I had structured the date as YYYY-MM-DD. I knew dentists focused mostly on the year their patients were born, not so much the specific date. Which is why I put the year first. During the user tests, however, it became clear this was not easy to scan & somewhat awkward (Europeans are used to the dd-mm-yyyy format). Therefore, I changed it & made sure the year is always in the same place (the top right corner of a patient box).

Wireframes

UI Design