I worked on parts of this tool, supporting a Lead UX Designer. The client is an international company that develops software for medical equipment, such as scanners (also read: patient management tool).
This software accompanies an x-ray scanner used by dentists. After taking scans, the images are collected in the tool & the dentist can start diagnosing. One of the parts I worked on, was how dentists can take notes during this process.
The first thing I did, was gather all sorts of insights. How do dentists diagnose, what are possible diagnoses, …?
The way they work is as follows. Every tooth has a specific number, and dentists use these to refer to the correct tooth in their diagnosis. The software made it possible to ‘zoom in’ on one tooth and link a diagnosis to it. There are several types of teeth problems, and each has its different subcategories.
So how to visualise them? Well, while there are several types of problems, there is a clear uneven distribution (90 percent of teeth problems is caries). So I chose to show them by recurrence (caries shown first).
On to the issue of subcategories. The first versions I made were based on simple lists. I experimented with checkboxes, dropdowns, chips:
When checking with a dentist, I realized they usually aren’t properly sitting down to do this work. They need to be able to go quickly. Which seems logical enough in retrospect, but it only proves why user testing is so valuable. You decrease the risk of working under wrong assumptions.
In a next iteration, I focused on a much more visual version. I drew icons for all types of problems, and had them checked regularly by dentists:
I also made the selection boxes much bigger, making it easier for dentists working with a touchscreen. This became the final version.